Being a mum is a huge task and that role comes in many different shapes and sizes! You could be a mum to a baby, several young children or perhaps teenagers or even grown up children. You could be a step mum or a foster mum, which can be even more challenging. And last but by no means least you could be a furmum, where your little ones have fur and four legs or perhaps feathers if you have birds at home 🙂
So many similarities!
Being both a mum and a furmum myself, I can see many similarities between being a mum and a furmum and I will list a few below for you;
- Let’s face it, both are a bit of a rollercoaster aren’t they with ups and downs!
- Pets don’t answer you back like children can do sometimes, however, generally your kids don’t chew your favourite shoes! So you see there are different ways in which it happens but both children and furbabies can test your patience and give you lots of mess to clear up!
- The pride you feel with you child starts to walk or talk, or perhaps they go up in assembly for a great piece of work. We are also super proud of our pets as well, for example when dog’s perform commands like sit and stay or when cats learn to jump up onto higher surfaces (this is not always a good thing though!). Our children and pets are both very clever and they learn a lot by watching us.
- There is always such a lot to do isn’t there when you are a mum. Getting everyone up and organised in the mornings, make sure your children and pets have all been fed and visited the bathroom/litter tray/garden, don’t forget to make lunchboxes and grab treats for the dog walk later. It’s no wonder we sometimes forget some things for ourselves!
- As a mum (or dad, but for this blog we are focussing on mums) you can be up in the night several times and that can be because you have a new born baby or a teething toddler or perhaps you have a new puppy or have just rehomed a pet and they are anxious and need some reassurance from you at night time. Also, both children and furbabies can be poorly and will then need your love and attention at night leaving you with a lack of sleep. We soon forget about this lack of sleep as our feelings of love take over and our desire to care first and foremost kicks in.
- There are so many similarities between being a mum and a furmum, they all depend on you for warmth, shelter, food, company and most importantly love 🙂
You’re doing a great job
Being a mum is one of the most challenging yet rewarding roles you will ever undertake and sometimes it’s not easy to see just how much you accomplish every day. Take a step back and pat yourself on the back for being the glue that holds everything together, for getting the kids to school on time even though one had a major meltdown this morning or for rescuing a glass of water that was heading for the kitchen floor when your cat decided to launch themselves onto the table and skid across it!! Congratulate yourself for being able to provide your children and furbabies with nutritious food and warmth and most of all your attention and love.
It’s important to realise nobody ever gets this right all of the time, some days we seem to be on fire and it all goes smoothly, while other days we can feel like we aren’t doing a very good job and things are stacked against us. But do you know what, we get up and carry on, we have a little word with ourselves, remind ourselves just how much we achieve every day and we continue to be the best mums we can be. Everyone does things differently and that’s ok.
Tell her how much you love her
It’s Mothers Day here in the UK this Sunday, I hope you can have a lovely day. If you are lucky enough to still have your mum around and you are able to see her, tell her how much you love her and appreciate everything she does for you. If you can’t see your mum, pick up the phone or arrange a video call so you can still tell her how much she means to you. For those of you who are so brave to carry on while your mum watches over you from the clouds in heaven, take a few moments to reflect on Sunday, she will see you reflecting and she will feel loved that you have devoted that time to think of her and your relationship, all the wonderful memories you shared that you now carry deep within your heart.
Happy Mother’s Day everyone 🙂
Lots of love, Lisa, Ollie, Jake, Sammy and Luna xxxxx