How To Keep Your Pet Safe At Easter
Easter is a wonderful time of family celebrations and fun. During this busy time it can be easy to forget there are many dangers for our pets and this blog looks at how to keep your pet safe at Easter so you can avoid poorly pets and big vets bills.
Chocolate can have fatal consequences for your pet
Most pet owners are aware but it cannot be stressed enough that the chocolate us humans eat is highly toxic and often fatal for our pets if they eat it. Pet owners must ensure they keep all chocolate Easter eggs, cakes and treats well out of the way of their inquisitive cats and dogs who if given half a chance will find it and eat it. Educating children on this subject is extremely important so that we can avoid chocolate eggs being left out by accident and then eaten. There are several reasons why chocolate is so dangerous for our pets and you can read all about that in one of our other blogs.
If you suspect your pet has eaten some chocolate, call your vets immediately and take your pet in for emergency treatment right away. If you can, quickly grab the packet so the vet can establish what type of chocolate has been eaten and possibly how much has been ingested. Dark chocolate is more dangerous than milk and white but all chocolate can be extremely dangerous when eaten by pets.
If you would like to get your furbaby a little Easter treat I believe you can get Easter eggs that are safe for cats and dogs to eat so you can include them in your Easter celebrations, but please ensure you check the label thoroughly to make sure whatever you give to your furbaby it is safe for them to eat.
Hot cross buns are tasty but highly toxic for pets
Well it wouldn’t be Easter without hot cross buns would it! Regardless of if you buy some from the local shop or you make some at home, it is very important to keep them out of reach of your pets as the raisins, currants and sultanas in hot cross buns are all very dangerous if eaten by pets. Dried fruits such as raisins, currants and sultanas are highly toxic to dogs (and I believe cats as well) and even eating just a small amount can lead to kidney failure which can be fatal. So please, keep your hot cross bun treats in a secure box in a cupboard high up away from your pets and be careful when you are eating them, don’t momentarily put your plate down on the floor or a low table as it will quickly disappear and could lead to a lot of heart beak.
Beware of some flowers/ plants
The Blue Cross website have a list of flowers and plants that are poisonous to dogs, some of which are fatal and include; apple pips, bluebells, daffodils, elderberry, foxglove, ivy, onions, peaches, rhubarb leaves and tulips to name a few. Check out the full list on their website. Giving beautiful spring flowers is a popular tradition at Easter but please be very careful and make sure you put your flowers well away from where your cats and dogs are able to access them to ensure our furry friends stay safe. When cooking with food’s such as onions, keep your pet away to avoid them grabbing foods that are poisonous to them.
Prevention is better than cure for keeping your pet safe this Easter
As always prevention is better than cure but if you do have an accident and suspect your pet has eaten something poisonous you must act fast. Unfortunately most symptoms of poisoning don’t show until the damage is well established. If you suspect your pet has eaten something poisonous like chocolate etc, get them to your vet immediately even if they don’t show signs of being poorly. The first 4 hours are critical and allow vets a chance to reverse some the damage.
Wishing you all a very happy Easter and please share this blog with your pet owning friends so they can see how to keep their pets safe at Easter.:)